Directions making a Goal Statement
1. Using the Iobeya brainstorming mode for 5-10 minutes, ask each participant to write sticky-notes with statements they think are vital for the success of the project:
Orange color for Main deliverables – What? (always a noun, tangible things)
Red color for Process Parameters – When? (finish date) or How much (max budget/cost)
Yellow color for Effects – Why? (diamond of opportunities)
Green color for Conditions – How? (asset or limitation)
One sticky-note for each statement.
2. One person at a time presents all his/her notes and places them on the template in the right place.
3. When everyone has presented their notes, work together and group similar notes. Get rid of all duplicates and move them to the trash bin.
4. Each person gets to distribute a total of five votes (votes = red dots smallest size) on the best statements. At least one vote on one deliverable and one process parameter. The remaining three are you free to place on any statements.
5. Sum up the votes for each sticky-note.
6. Move the sticky-note with the most votes from each category to the bottom of the board.
7. Try to formulate a sentence using the four statements. Suggestion syntax:
( How?) we shall (Why?) by (What?) before (when?)
(Based on the SPD patent) we shall (secure technical leadership) by (producing a VDT-prototype) before (August 15, 2021).
If it doesn’t sound great, place the (How?) (Why?) (What?) (When?) in a different order and glue it together to a complete statement.
8. Get the core team, steering committee, and sponsor to confirm that this is what we shall do.
9. Write a new post with the final goal statement and place it in the Exchange zone.
10. Move to the Project Definition board and fetch the Goal statement from the Exchange zone and place it on the board at the right place.